This version includes all the basic functionality required to stream BLOB data in and out of MySQL tables.
The main features are:
- Uploading of BLOB data directly into the database using HTTP PUT or GET methods.
- Downloaded of BLOB data directly from the database using HTTP GET.
- BLOB size may exceed 4GB - theoretical BLOB size limit of 256 Terabytes.
- BLOBs are stored in a repository which manages references from other storage engine tables.
- BLOBs are referenced by a URL.
- URLs referencing BLOBs in the repository have a unique access code, for security.
- The theoretical maximum repository size is 4 Zettabytes (2^72 bytes) per database.
- The server-side streaming API allows any storage engine to store BLOB data in the repository.
- MyBS system tables provide a view of the BLOBs and associated references in the repository.
Documentation for MyBS is also available. It includes details about all features so far, and some examples of use: http://www.blobstreaming.org/documentation.
If you try out the new engine, I'd like to hear from you. Any comments, questions and bug reports can be sent directly to me.